The money will be used to fund the regeneration project which includes the following:
- Upgraded internal layout to improve circulation and stall visibility.
- Some two-sided trading units, opening to the inside and outside.
- Replacement of some low level boarding with glass to make the building more inviting and to reveal the businesses to passers-by.
- Changes to the floor surface to make it smoother and easier to clean.
- Improved access for wheelchair users.
- Background heating and control of ventilation, which will make the hall more comfortable for traders and customers.
- New food and café units which will comply with the latest hygiene regulations.
- A flexible area without permanent stalls to allow use for events, particularly in the evening. Most of the time this area would be occupied by demountable stalls.
- An interpretation area to explain the history and significance of the building.
A market trader has pointed that this press release has been quoted on the BBC site, click here. (See comment below.)