DC024579 & DC024580
Listed building application for internal and external alterations, single storey rear extension, demolition of pitched roof lean-to, increased height of North Western enclosed area and extension of courtyard.
Cheadle Royal Hospital, 100 Wilmslow Road, Cheadle, SK8 3DG.
Case Officer / Telephone: Miss E Curle 0161 474 3538
Consultation Expiry Date: 25-11-2006
Documents: click here.
A very interesting read is the Cheadle Royal Conservation Site Character Appraisal, 2006. For more info, click here.
Below is an excerpt from the appraisal.
The former Manchester Royal Lunatic Hospital, now the Cheadle Royal Hospital was built in 1847-9 and opened in 1849, to replace the earlier hospital in Manchester. The hospital at Cheadle (that part known as the Main Wing) was designed by Richard Lane, who also designed the Stockport Infirmary. Richard Lane, Manchester’s most prominent architect, was architect and surveyor to the Asylum Committee and the winner of the competition for the design of the new hospital. This building was later extended in 1861, 1877 and 1882.
The design of Richard Lane’s hospital was based on new theories concerning treatment regimes for the mentally ill. Reformers such as John Conolly believed that treatment should be therapeutic and should take place in a therapeutic environment in which the building should relate directly to the grounds. The hospital received favourable mention in Joseph Conolly’s book, written in 1856: The Treatment of the Insane without Mechanical Constraint, in which the ideal asylum is described as a building with spacious grounds, doors opening onto gardens and windows ‘commanding agreeable views’. Cheadle Royal Hospital provided such an environment, together with grounds laid out for kitchen gardens and a bowling green. Later provision included tennis courts, cricket pitch, putting green and croquet lawn.
The hospital was intended for the wealthier middle classes and, unlike the pauper asylums, accepted voluntary patients, being the first asylum to do so.